It's official: The votes have been tallied and verified, and the winners of the 2012 About.com Readers' Choice Awards for Caribbean Travel have been named:
- Favorite Caribbean Destination: Curacao
- Most Romantic Caribbean Island: Antigua (from the About.com Romantic/Honeymoon Travel site)
- Favorite Caribbean All-Inclusive Resort: Windjammer Landing, St. Lucia
- Best Honeymoon All-Inclusive Resort: Sandals Emerald Bay (from the About.com Romantic/Honeymoon Travel site)
- Favorite All-Inclusive in Mexico: The Royal Playa del Carmen (from the About.com Mexico Travel site)
- Favorite All-Inclusive Resort for Families: Beaches Turks & Caicos (from the About.com Family Vacations site)
- Favorite Caribbean Hotel: Seven Stars Resort, Turks & Caicos
- Favorite Caribbean Beach: Grace Bay Beach, Turks & Caicos
- Favorite Caribbean Cruise Line: Island Windjammers
- Favorite Caribbean Attraction or Activity: Old San Juan, Puerto Rico
- Best Spring Break Destination for Families: Puerto Rico (from the About.com Family Vacations site)
Congratulations to all of the winners! With more than 25,000 votes cast over the course of a month, some of the voting was remarkably close. Old San Juan, for example, edged out another great Puerto Rico attraction, the Bioluminescent Bay in Vieques, by just 12 votes, and Altos de Chavon in the Dominican Republic by just 17 votes.
Island Windjammers and Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines each received more than 2,000 votes, but when the tallying was complete the small, tall-ship cruise company beat out Royal Caribbean and its mega-ships by a 52% to 38% margin.
Curacao was the biggest vote-getter in the entire contest, receiving 5,288 votes as best destination to beat out runner-up Trinidad & Tobago. Seven Stars Resort ran away with the Favorite Caribbean Resort award, getting 62% of the votes cast.
Stay Current on Caribbean Travel: